Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hi everyone!

So... My craft room got an unexpected overhaul this weekend. I wish I would have taken a before pic, but I didn't think it was going to be much more than an organization mission.

Turned into sooooo very much more.

There was this really nasty carpet that was there when we moved in. It was one of the things we were going to replace first thing, and then we got a shed with that money so we could put the stuff into it while the carpet and paint was getting done. Anywhoo... I have was thinking that it would be nice to have the wood floor under it until we get the money for the carpet. So, with that suggestion, Scott said it wouldn't be too bad to pull it up if that was what I wanted. So he got to pulling it up. Then we did a bit of hand sanding the floor just to get the paint off. The floor isn't evenly sanded but it is good enough for me. I like the Shabby look anyway. :o)

So, we worked at it and it is not done yet, but here is some of the progress.
This was just after the carpet was tore up: (The room is only 9' x10' but I am grateful to have a room dedicated just to being creative. I just have to be very selective on how the furniture is arranged and what I put in it and how. Before it was such a crazy mess. Nothing made sense. Dresser and desk and shelving unit and drawer units anywhere they might fit.)

This was what the living room looked like after hauling all my craft room stuff out into it.

After I painted, last fall, I forgot that I didn't do anything with the plate covers, so here is a pic of what they look like now: (much better don't ya think?)

So, this is a peek at my ribbon storage. I have used soooo many systems for it and none worked quite right until I read about this one from someone on the net ( I wish I knew who but it was a few years ago. I finally got it mostly done--I found some more ribbon amongst the chaos!! lol) But this is one drawer and I have a total of 2 that are like this and the bottom of this 3 drawer unit is the ones I just found that need to be wound and put with like colors.

This is what I came up with for my stamp storage. (I need to be able to see them or else I don't use them). They are just wooden pieces (found in the moulding department of home improvement stores) that are designed for an outside corner to protect it from getting dinged up. I used them as small shelves. They are just wide enough to put wood mounted stamps on them. I love it!

Then, this is the sight you see right now when you walk in-- A mess for now but getting there. I was so sore and tired from yesterday that I didn't make as much progress today but this is the desk and the shelving unit.

This is just to the right when you walk in. I can see my stamp collection from my desk. (The lamp is out in the middle for now because Scott was working on the stamp shelves.)

This is the white shelving unit. I now have some matching boxes for most of it.

This unit is one that I made a few years ago to hold my paper horizontally, but then discovered that it was much better held vertical and in these holders by cropper hopper. I was debating on getting rid of this shelving unit but then thought that I could get rid of most of the shelves and still use it for paper, but in a different way. This is beside my desk so that is easily within reach

Then, this is my drawer units. They are quite handy to hold everything. I have tools, ribbon, paper scraps, painting supplies, glitter, etc. in them. I will post more pics and close ups when it is done or closer to done. But this is how it is for now. Loving it so far.

On a side note, this is where it all started... I asked for some advice for how to organize some embellishments because I didn't like having to use all those individual plastic divider things for each color and I wanted to have them fit into a drawer that I could pull out and see it all, but the drawers couldn't fit 2 units in them. Scott suggested to cut some of them off. It would lose a few of the compartments but they would all fit in a drawer. I loved the idea! So, off to the garage he went to alter some of the plastic units so they would all fit in a drawer. I LOVE the new system!! Here is an example:

These are the units they went into:

This is one of the drawers all done where I can see all the embellishments when I open the drawers:


  1. Well well, it looks to me like your coming along rather nicely. I shudder to attack mine anytime soon. Between the move and the doubt about hiding myself away in a particular room (closterphobic)i'm sorta without a permanent home right now. But, have been working on the spare room quite diligently.

    Hang in there, it will come.

  2. Job well done ... love the switch plates, nice touch.
    TTFN ~ Marydon

  3. Well, to my Darling daughter, That comment before,Hmmm. A Job well done, it looks really nice, Iknow u have longed for that for that for a long time and wood floor. Now u need one of the sweepers for sure! So far I really like mine. Love u, Mumma

  4. Totally aggree Job Well Done!!!!

    Have a lovely BH weekend:) x

  5. Hi....I love it. Wow, this inspires me to clean up mine. I love my craftroom but can't seem to keep it organized. I clean it up and then wham, it is a mess again.

    Great job.


  6. Hi thankyou for visiting my blog , I'm glad you did cause I get to visit yours now . Your craftroom looks great (much tidier than mine)